The Stride is proud to present Shai O’Brien who competes on the triathlon and ironman circuits in Australia.
From Summer 2012 to Summer 2015 she raced as a Junior elite in the Scody ITU National Triathlon Series under the Triathlon Victoria Development Program. During her junior career Shai had numerous podiums in Victorian state series. Recent performances have seen Shai finish 4th in the Australian Youth Championships, 12th in the Oceania ITU Triathlon Championships and 10th Australian National Championships.
In the summer of 2015 O’Brien began her transition to long course events racing Olympic distance alongside sprint distance races. During this transition she altered her participation in the national series as her training and race focus changed.
In November 2015 she raced her first half ironman (Challenge Shepparton). As a 19 year old O’Brien was the youngest competitor and won the 18-24 age group and placed 8th overall female.
With the strong performance in Shepparton O’Brien had a quick turn around and competed in Ironman Ballarat 70.3. In this race she placed first in the 18-24 age group, and 14th female.
Due to the success at Ballarat 70.3, Shai qualified for the 2017 Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Chattanooga, Tennesse, USA. This event will be held on September 9th, 2017 and her goal is to win the 18-24 age group.
Shai is coached by David Meade and is a member of the PreCompTri squad, with the goal of turning professional in long course racing. Shai consults with The Stride practitioners to ensure all facets of her training are covered. From dietetics, podiatry and physiotherapists our practitioners work tirelessly to ensure training and race days are completed to perfection.
- – 1st Bridgewater Sprint Triathlon Open Age 2017
- – 1st Echuca Sprint Triathlon Open Age 2017
- – 1st Ballarat Ironman 70.3 18-24 AG 2016
- – 2nd Challenge Shepparton 18-24 AG 2016
- – 2nd Geelong ironman 70.3 2016 18-24 AG
- – 1st Gatorade Olympic Triathlon Open age 2015, 2016
- – 1st Geelong Ironman 5150 2015
- – 1st Gatorade Australian Sprint Championships Open age 2015
- – 1st Challenge Shepparton 2015 18-24 AG (8th overall)
- – 4th Australian Youth Triathlon Championships 2013
- – 10th Australian National Triathlon Championships 2014